Sunday, September 24, 2006

Backwaters


It's raining hard here in Trivandrum and the roads are flooded. But the last few days were great. I'd still some money left, there was no work or anything else to go back home to, so I thought I'd explore the area around Trivandrum.

First up was the famous Kovvalam Beach, a former hippy hangout. For the first time in my life, I saw black beaches. In the distant, I also saw two blue sails, sliding gracefully through the Arabian Sea, into the reflection of the afternoon sun. Although no Maldivian would think much of the beach or the water, Kovvalam does have a certain charm. Then there are the many eateries lined up along the beach, serving seafood, fermented toddy, and other beverages.

Then I went to the Varkala beach, in the photo, which is less "happening" but more scenic to my mind.

But the best was the backwaters. I took a longer bus ride to do a shorter cruise on the canals on a local ferry and enjoyed every minute of it. The view from the backwaters really is different. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures because I was busy videoing. The starting point of the trip in Allepy, with the painted boats, reminded me of the canals in England!

The backwaters definitely need more exploration.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Backwaters seem to be in Maldives as well.

http://indiaenews.com/2006-09/21738-introduce-liberal-democracy-gayoom.htm

‘I thought that the time has now come for democracy. There has to be a certain level of education and socio-economic development to appreciate the value and meaning of democracy.’

What kind of legacy does he wish to leave behind? ‘I want the people to remember me as someone who has been responsible for putting the Maldives on the map of the world. When I took over in 1978, nobody knew the Maldives. It was a backwater.’

‘Now, the Maldives is a famous tourist destination for Europe. Not just for Europe, but also the East - Japan, India and China. But my most important legacy will be a liberal forward-looking democracy for the Maldives.’

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gayoom has been boasting the ancient Romans and the Chinese knew of the place.
He cannot have it both ways.
Gayoom is anga-aruvaa.

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's narcissim, the abuse he received at Azhar madrasa from mullah teachers during his formative years and senility talking.
Get the senile old fool into a hospital or he will wreak more havoc.

Apologies for posting obligatory comment about Golhaabo.

Al,enjoy your journey.

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

couples carribean hotelHave a fantastic holiday for 2 with sandal resort, couple only holidayscouples carribean hotel

1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home