Thursday, September 21, 2006

Keralan monsoon


The long distance travelling is done with. After a kilometre count of around nine thousand, I'm safely back in Trivandrum, my launching pad to and from the Maldives.

It's been raining ever since the train crossed into the hills around Coimbatore, the border between the states of Tamil Nadu and Kerala, early this morning. The paddy fields looked even more lush in the monsoon.

I'll stay here a few days to check out a few places I haven't been to yet and, hopefully, do a boat ride in the famed backwaters.

For anyone interested I've spent just over four hundred US dollars ever since arriving in India nearly four weeks ago.

I'm sure I'll love the monsoon, the backwaters, and the greenery, but I may have left my heart in the cold deserts of Ladakh and its isolate villages, such as Tiksey in the photo.

As for the Maldives, I've no idea what I'm going back to.

sHANU, I think Sharif missed you initially, dunno where he is now.

MARTIN, man, believe it or not you were one inspiration for me to travel alone this time.

JINT, I think the Nubra Valley deserves a re-visit in the real. I'll find it very hard to resist the calling come 2007! Of course I'll also be revisiting it a hundred times or more when I wade through the video footage, lucky me!

3 Comments:

Blogger MARTIN said...

Howdy Al,

Hard to believe I was an inspiration - have I done something right in my life other than moan alot?!
Having read all the journey so far I am of course somewhat gutted I am still stuck here in London but as you know there are plans afoot... It won't be as scenic (?) but it will be an adventure, I know...

12:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

shari shari.. u cant take all the credit .. wasnt thinking about u when i posted :P If i didnt post on Al's blog i wouldnt post on anyone elses ;)

Al looks like i am going to be here even when u return .. call me when u are back

12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

keralan monsoon. backwaters. paddy fields. reminds me of The God of Small Things by Arundhathi Roy. Beautiful Kerela. One day i want to go there. So close but so far away. Emme kairee ga, ehenas emme dhuruga. Was Saikura Naeem a phenomenon in 1970s?

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home