Sunday, September 17, 2006

Back in Manali


I'm spending my last few hours in the Himalaya. This morning I looked out of my window at the tall, steep pine hills of Manali. I have to admit it was a nice feeling descending into the greenery of Manali after 10 days in the barren deserts of Ladakh.

It's also good to soak in the relative luxury of the Manali hotel---they treated me like a VIP because I went back there and wouldn't hear of registeration or payment until I was rested---and sample the different food here. I was so hungry when I got here yesterday evenig that the first thing I did was to eat a full Punjabi thali (set meal) and a chiken kebab.

I'm booked on a bus to Delhi leaving tonight. I only plan to spend a day there, enough to meet up with a cousin (another one, the world is full of Carnation Cousins)and, probably Shareef, who emailed to say he would be in Delhi too what a coincidence! Hopefully I'll be on the train to Trivandrum the day after that.

I might spend some time in Kerala---perhaps go for a boat ride in the backwaters--depending on how much money I've got left.

I should mention that I left the keys to my house and room in Khunder in the Nubra Valley. My first thought when I realised what I'd done was I can't think of a better place to get lost!

3 Comments:

Blogger MARTIN said...

Howdy Al,

Cheers for the message - it does indeed look and sound interesting - and yeah I'm sure I could put aside a shower for a few days (I'm betting I may have to in a few months...) especailly if there is a good view and architecture to see, so in maybe two trip time I'll go (if I can!)

4:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hey al.. how are u doing... wasnt feeling like being online much so didnt keep upto date with the blog as well.. sorry about it :)

sounds like u are havin a great time and it all looks beautiful.. and what better place to get lost eh .. nice :)

11:14 PM  
Blogger Jinty said...

Hi there -
Having just got back from the Himalayas myself it's been fascinating retracing my steps through your blog! Happened upon it by accident - do you realise you're the second hit if you google Taglang La?!
Cheers for helping me reminisce...

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home