Thursday, September 14, 2006

Homeward bound, again...


Having travelled about 4,500 kilometres from the southern tip of India to the northmost that a foreigner can go, I'm now southbound again. I've seen spectacular mountain scenery in Himachal Pradesh, Nepal and Tibet but Ladakh, in particular, the Nubra Valley, beats them all. I've never felt so comfortable and at peace with my surroundings as well as myself.

I didn't mean to do much filming on this journey and really only brought the old XL1 along just in case I wanted to capture a particular scene. But the inspiration for filming has been stronger than anything I've ever felt.

My only regret is I've only spent two days in the Nubra Valley. Next year---for I must come back here as soon as I can---I hope I can wander off there on my own free from the confines of an organised tour.

A WORD TO MARTIN AND EGAN: You have to come to the Nubra Valley, Martin because of it's out-of-this world appearance (I know you can overcome the erm mod-cons aspect if you put your mind to it), and Egan because because of the rich Buddhist art and heritage.

I'm leaving for Manali around midnight tonight and trying to get to Trivandrum as soon as I can in order to keep to the budget I'd planned for this journey.

I don't know what I'll do in the Maldives but the thought of earning enough money to come back here next year takes away some of the sadness of leaving this place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home