Thursday, September 14, 2006

Highest pee


Khardung La, at 5602 metres, is higher than Kala Pattar in Nepal, the highest I'd been so far. It's the world's highest motorable pass, but apart from the stats it didn't really "feel" like a high altitude pass. There was no wind and the view was not as spectacular as that of Lalung La in Tibet or even Tanglang La in Ladakh. But there was a horde of gawking tourists and an army encampment.

The XL1 caused some furor. A soldier asked where I was from and then there ensued a discussion among him and other soldiers as to where the Maldives could possibly be.

I had a cup of chai here and also my highest pee.

There were five of us on the Nubra Valley safari in a Chevrolet 4WD, an Indian girl and her mum, an Israeli girl, and the Ladakhi driver, who all agreed to be "stars" in my film in return for an edited copy. I had the front seat to myself and was able to film at will.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Al. What if the pee comes all the way down and lands on the Maldives. Right into a swimming pool. Or somebody's head. It gives me creeps when u do that sort of thing in high altitiudes. Remember seamen coming to Maldives and boasting that they were on a ship so high that it took days for water from a bucket thrown from the ship to reach the sea. Anyway good blogging. Hope to meet u back here in low altitude.

6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home