Saturday, September 09, 2006

Co-existence


I'm now well and adjusted to Leh, having walked around in it and oriented myself. The weather's quite warm, but it gets slightly colder in the evenings.

Leh is a bit like Lhasa, surrounded by brown hills. The older houses look Tibetan but the city centre has Indian influences, just like the Chinese influence in Lhasa.

There are three mosques within a few hundred metres of each other. I had a chat with my landlord's son today and he told me that the Muslims and the Budhists have been co-existing in harmony for centuries.

I'm having trouble finding a jeep safari to Nubra Valley, because it's the end of the season and there aren't many tourists who want to go there.

I could go on my own on a local bus but they only issue permits to Nubra via registered agencies and for groups of at least four. I've talked to a few agencies and they say they'll let me know if there's a trip coming up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home