Sunday, April 08, 2007

Border crossings


I'm safely installed in a cheap but clean and comfortable room in Thamel, Kathmandu. But getting here included the most frustrating overland border crossing exercise I've ever done. Had everything gone according to plans I should be trudging uphill in pine forests to Namche Bazaar today.

Instead I will now only be flying out to Lukla on the 11th, and my estimated arrival at Namche will take place a day after that.

But I need this time in Thamel to eat, rest and re-engergise for the trek after the ordeal through India, which I'm now about to describe. But I warn readers that this post is probably the longest post they'll ever have read on this blog.

1)BAKSHEESH IN BIHAR
Having intended to spend as little time in India as possible, I didn't bring along any India guidebooks. When I failed to get on the train to Gorakhpur from Bangalore, everything just fell flat. The next train was a week later so I got myself a berth on a train to Howrah, Calcutta, instead, from where I knew I could catch a bus to the border. When I arrived at Howrah, however I had to rely on a fellow train passenger to direct me to the bus station. It turned out there were no buses to the border crossings I knew but there was another one that would take me to Jogbani, a Bihari town on the border. The travel agent assured me that I could catch a bus to Kathmandu from there and later, my Nepalese fellow passengers on the bus confirmed this.

I'd arrived in Calcutta in the morning and the bus left just after sundown, so I only really had enough time for a shower and a few hours of badly needed sleep in the "city of joy". It was a bustling city, even more crowded than Bombay, but there seemed to some order in the movement of traffic that I hadn't seen anywhere else in India. Indeed I was able to get on a local bus and find my way to the bust station without a map or a guidebook.

The city certainly promised to be worthy of exploration if I'd had more time. The lasting image of Calcutta for me would be the extraordinary sunset over the impressive Howrah bridge as I rode to catch my bus to Bihar.

After a bumpy, sleepless ride, much of which I spent worrying about the effects of the reclining seat in front of me on my knees. I arrived at the border around lunchtime the next day.

The Indian immigration officer took one look at my passport and, despite my protestations that Maldivians didn't need visas for short term visits to India, said my passport was "invalid" he was "seizing" it, and I wouldn't be allowed to leave.

He went in search of his colleague who seemed to know a bit more about India-Maldives foreign relations. He even knew "Abdul Gayoom" had recently attended a SAARC Summit in New Delhi. He gave me a few forms to fill so I knew all was not lost. In the end they hand-wrote my exit on the passport (not having a stamp) and indicated, in no uncertain terms, that they expected "baksheesh" or payment for their trouble. They also insisted I had a cup of tea with them and, before sending me off to the Nepalese side, said they would allow me back into India via the same route even though I didn't have the visa.

On the Nepalese side, there was no immigration, only a customs checkpost where an officer politely informed me that this was not an international entry point into Nepal and sent me back to India.

The Indian immigration officers were furious that I had been turned back and advised me to sneak back into Nepal, past the customs and catch a bus to Kathmandu. But I didn't want to be an illegal immigrant so I told them I preferred to do the 8 hour bus journey to the next border crossing near Siliguri, in West Bengal.

The fact is, Jogbani is a local crossing point for Indians and Nepalese, which I'd have found out if I had a guidebook.

Back in India and at the nearest bus stop, a guy befriended me and promised me if I got on his bus, which was going to Patna, he'd make sure I got on the bus to Siliguri. He cautioned me that I was in Bihar and even though he was from the state it was a state renowned for its "goodas and badmashis" (crooks and outlaws).

Some time into the ride, he said his friend, the driver, would take over from him since he had to get out at the next stop. I got off with him to have a cup of tea, during which he asked my name. When he realised I had a Muslim name he said he was a Muslim too and regularly practised his "namaaz" (prayers). I told him I wasn't as devout as he and he said "You should be!"

In any case our shared Muslim brotherhood didn't prevent him from taking his baksheesh from me, a rather large one too. After settling me in a seat by the driver, he added that the driver would probably expect baksheeh from me too. I wasn't surprised.

By now other passengers in the driver's compartment were casting curious glances at the exchanges that were happening between the driver, me and my Muslim friend. But I avoided their questions only informing them the driver was dropping me off at some point to catch another bus. They nodded their heads at each other and declared the driver and the other guy were taking advantage of my helplessness.

As we drove in the dusk, rows broke out between the passengers and the conductor. The driver seemed to able to mediate by saying he was not from the state and, pointing at me, informed everyone that rescuing "this unfortunate foreigner" from the rouges of the border area. The passengers, who'd seen money exchanged, were skeptical and advised me, when the driver got off for a pee, to get out at a place called Purnia where I could catch a bus to Silugiri.

When we reached Purnia somebody told the driver I should get off but he told them I was under his care. Some minutes later he did drop me off, at a shanty eatery on the highway, and said my bus would arrive soon. Then, making sure everyone heard, he said he'd helped me out of the goodness of his heart and would not take money from me. I was saved from my third baksheesh in Bihar.

At the eatery I had my first proper meal of the day, drank a cup of tea, went to the loo and, actually started to feel better. But the flatlands of northern Bihar were infested with mosquitoes and I was soon worrying about the possibility of getting malaria. By midnight I was in a desperate situation, convinced I'd been conned and dumped. I decided I was too tired to do anything about it and put my fleece over me and tried to sleep on a makeshift bed. But a few minutes later the Siliguri bus appeared miraculously and I was back on the highway.

2)CROSSING INTO KAKARVITTA
I arrived at Siliguri just before dawn and a travel agent ushered me into his office, trying to sell me package tours to Darjeeling and Sikkim (only a short distance from here). I told him I would come back for all that but I needed to get to Kathmandu fast. He booked a seat for me on a bus that would leave from the border in the afternoon.

I squeezed into a 4WD that took me to Pani Tanki, the Indian border. Immigration asked me the inevitable "Where's the visa?" but a phone call seemed to satisfy them that I didn't require one. They stamped my exit and I got on a rickshaw without bothering with customs.

As the sun broke through the morning haze, we rode a long bridge over a dry river bed, wisps of morning fog over either side. The air was cool and it was the most picturesque overland border crossing I'd done and one that really felt like you were going from one country to another. Muha would have loved it.

Nepalese immigration formalities were a breeze and as I waited for my bus, I had my first momo for this journey in a teashop which stocked whiskey, vodka and beer, along with biscuits, crisps and chocolates. Yes, I was truly in Nepal at last!

7 Comments:

Blogger MARTIN said...

Al,

Buddy, you really had a good one there didn't you?! Glad to hear you're definately on your way though. This kind of bus journey taking is really making me feel slightly apprehensive about Greyhound but I'm sure I'll be ok...!

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are living the dream. Good luck to you and wish you a safe journey, where ever it takes you

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Albs,
mom's been wondering if you have started your trek. mom says she will try and call the contact you gave her today.mombs said the last post in your blog was on the 8th, so just popped in to see what you've been up to. have a safe time up the mountains.
thathu

11:26 PM  
Blogger Khilath Rasheed - journalist and blogger from Maldives said...

Hi Al

Sorry to have not kept in touch for a long time. I seem to have too much to do on my hands and am really missing out on the events of important persons in my life. But now I am taking the liberty of shutting out what I don’t need from my life and instead concentrating on the few important things in my life. That of course includes not answering some phone calls from some particular people and not meeting up particular people as well. Last night I didn’t even go to Jazeera Daily's first anniversary celebration meeting though I got an invitation. I have nothing personal against them now but I guess they will not buy that and continue to spread lies against me.

I have also come to a path in my life in which I am becoming more introverted (not in a bad sense) and more concentrated on the things that give me happiness and pleasure. So it means I have to shut out some things and some people for whom I will only be wasting my time on. But they wouldn't understand and this would obviously result in bad PR for me, but what the hell, in another six million years who would remember that a homo sapien named Hilath Rasheed walked on this earth, right?

Though India and the Himalayas are agreeably one of the best places to visit, I have always felt apprehensive about travelling alone or even with a group because of the same kind of troubles you had faced on this trip. Just recently, about three days back, my surfer friend Nippe, his mom, his sis and a female friend of hers, suffered the loss of US$1,500 in Trivandrum. Their luggage was broken into by airport officials even before the luggage arrived on the belt and there was nothing else they could do because the stolen money would have been shared among quite a few handful of airport officials.

I say that India is not ready for a UN Security Council seat and I am sure Maumoon and his cronies must be getting some nice benefits for voicing support to have a security council seat for India. In fact, India and South Asia have much to do to raise its professional standards so that people and foreigners can travel and roam the country and the continent securely and safely.

Finding out about this kind of bad experiences is what hinders me from going on an adventure like you did. The only way I will travel to India or any South Asian country will be if necessary.

I got a pet rabbit on the day you left. It’s a baby and just two months old. Very intelligent and almost behaves like a dog, constantly walking around my feet and wanting to be touched. This is an amazing discovery. I mean, now I know why earlier I wasn't impressed by rabbits. Most Maldivians keep them caged so how can they show their true behavior, right?

Well, this is the update about me right now. I will check your blog from time to time.
Bye for now

Best regards
Hilath
PS: Is this comment by me longer than the longest post you have ever written on this blog?

11:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

how are you doing?
mamma

5:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hey there everyone, Al told me to tell anyone who asks about him that he is fine and doing well.. the last I heard from him was when he stopped over in Namche, unfortunately beyond that point there are no internet connections or phone lines.. so he'd be out of touch for a while, he is going for a long trek this time and would be back around 25th of this month earliest..

If I hear anything more will update ..

5:32 AM  
Blogger Al said...

hey hilath, it's sad that incidents like that are putting you off travelling in these wonderful lands, so close and accessible to maldivians..but travellers themselves can be more cautious (like not putting money in luggage)

thathu, tell mum i'm ok after a great trek..am looking up contacts in ktm now and getting ready to go home..

5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home