Monday, April 02, 2007

Nandi Hills


Bangalore, 2 April, 2007.

Things aren't going according to plan. I wasn't able to get a ticket on the direct train to the Nepalese border; instead I've got one on a train going to Calcutta. I'll have to try to get to Patna or Gorakhpur from there and then cross the border.

I'm also stuck in Bangalore for three days. This morning I went to the city centre where there are lots of parks and shops. But I enoyed more an excursion to the Nandi Hills yesterday, on a local bus.

The locals call it the "Ooty of Karnataka". I haven't been to Ooty so I don't know how accurate the description is. But it was nice at the top of the hills where a superb view of the somewhat parched countryside awaits you. There was also a vertical drop of more than 500 metres on one side, which I thought was rather dramatic.

I was squeezed into the bus on the way back, but hey when you go to a country of 1 billion people and use their public transport, you have to bear these sort of inconveniences!

I'm not enoying being stuck in Bangalore, never having been much of a city man, however hi-tech the city in question may be.

I should add I had trouble finding a cyber cafe where I'm staying---near the railway station---in India's "Silicon Valley".

But I've never seen so many pubs in any other city I've been to in India!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i went to nandi hills when i was a kid ... family trip ...
i think around there ... there is a point called tippu's drop or something ...
all i remember of bangalore is commercial street and brigade road ...
thats about it ...

12:50 PM  
Blogger MARTIN said...

Al - a few public houses to send you on your way, enjoy that while you can! Any Guiness on tap there? If so have one for me Pal, I'm off the sauce until Easter Sunday!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Husein Zinan said...

hello Al

wish you all the best ... and thanks for the great intro ... you've done amazing work in the gym ...

Good luck
Zinan

7:54 AM  
Blogger Al said...

subcorpus, yeah there was a tipu's drop there. don't really know the history of tipu sultan but i hope his girlfriend didn't kick him off the cliff and run away with his bodyguard!

shari, you never miss a thing do you? hey tell your associate and hijoo that i really wanted to see them but i had too much to do on the morning of my departure..

martin, nah no guiness in chandi's bar in bangalore nor strongbow neither! so you'll have to have a pint for me after your fast mate!

zinan, what can i say? anyhow i start my trek two days hence and i can't wait to see the effects of our work...will keep you posted, buddy.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home