Thursday, December 22, 2005

Many thanks, Mr Thangraj


Male, sea-level, 30+degrees celcius

Been home two days now and still in the process of readjustment. Any hope Muha may have had of sneaking back into the country unobstrusively was shattered when our friends (and lovers) turned up at the airport. No sign of the threatened garlands, though. I was quite surprised but later learned Muha had messaged Shaaxu with flight details who had then messaged Hilath and so on. And Yasir too!

Meanwhile Male (shown in another picture I've stolen from Muha's photos) is still in the middle of political and social upheaval or mess, as some would have it. But brave and tireless individuals are working day and night to make life better for people here and, although I'm not quite sure where I fit in all this, if at all, I must laud their efforts.

Meanwhile, Muha is having problems adjusting to the noise. He went for a swim yesterday and sat on a rock, he says.

I would like to dedicate this post to someone here I forgot to mention earlier but who may have played the most crucial role in our well-being at high altitude: our phsyiotherapist. The lack of knee pains which characterised my previous Himalayan adventure, I think, is entirely due to the effective programme he devised for us in the short time we had for training. On the whole, we didn't encounter either joint problems or major symptoms of altitude sickness so hats off to our trainer and friend Mr Thangraj.

I've lost 5 kilos in weight, have problems sleeping, am restlesss, and, on the whole, feel somewhat isolated from everything. If truth be told I'm a tad lonely, but don't have the desire to do anything about it. But I'm an optimist when it comes to my own mental and physical well-being, so I know I'll overcome these post-Himalayan challenges.

Thankfully I can take refuge in a haunting collection of Tibetan chants, which I heard and brought in Thamel, and also, of course, in the footage I filmed in the Himalaya, from which hopefully I will be able to weave an edited whole that will in some way represent what the journey has meant to me, and to Muha.

16 Comments:

Blogger Khilath Rasheed - journalist and blogger from Maldives said...

It's like when I visit an outer island and come back to Male. The outer islands are so quiet and once you return back, you always wonder how you are going to adjust to all the noise that is characteristic of the capital city. But over a day or two I become adjusted. Nevertheless, I think this stress will continue though unknown, contributing largely to our depressed state when living in Male.

Like Muha, I also sometimes go to a swim at the "Track" and sit on a rock on the seawall, enjoy my solitary loneliness. It helps to bring things back to focus. It also helps to look at people and your relationships with them independently. In fact, I am hoping to do one of those solitary rock sitting thing again because I think I may be getting into another relationship. But I am going to take things a bit slowly this time, and also deal with the relationship logically and practically. I know this sounds bad because I am leaving out the romanticism. But I was so stung last time, I don't have the heart to go adventuring for romance again.

11:56 PM  
Blogger Al said...

hey hilath i think sharif is striking you off his list of the three most cuddly, baby-faced people because you've lost weight and look like him now.

3:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

al n muha good to see u are back home safely :)as for us we are still... on the rocks.. wud be home soon though...couple of more weeks left :D

3:21 AM  
Blogger Khilath Rasheed - journalist and blogger from Maldives said...

So that means only Shinan and Aslam (Addu atoll MP) left in the group of baby-faced men? How sad, now I can't pose for any Nestum ads!

By the way, is it a good or bad thing not to look baby-faced anymore, considering that I keep getting comments (mostly from guys) of how handsome I look now, ahem!

4:12 AM  
Blogger Al said...

hilath i don't know if you're aware that egan is planning to spank your rear with ahi leaves on the next eclipse of the moon in order to cure you of your recently acquired wickedness...

speaking of which i should also mention that someone here has a rather pinchable bottom though, for some reason, i never got round to it when i was in the vicinity of the bottom in question. but one of these days...

6:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hmm bottoms?? now thats one interestin topic...so whose the lucky man or woman whose gonna get her or his arse pinched??? i wonder what hilath has to say about that..

1:23 AM  
Blogger Khilath Rasheed - journalist and blogger from Maldives said...

I love a nice butt but we got to admit that Maldivians do not have the best bums. According to a UN study here, which Al and Nazmy referred to in one of their earlier documentaries, one in four (about 25 percent) of Maldivian children are stunted because they are malnourished. Maybe this is one reason why Maldivians have such small fookolhus because the bum is undernourished even at an early age.

7:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

umm whats a dhurra?? a whip? ooo kinky... looks like sharif cant get that bit of bdsm out of his mind!!

10:34 PM  
Blogger Al said...

hey sharif, if i did steal the paddle---i'm not saying i did---at least it cured your associate of his self-flagellation...

1:27 AM  
Blogger Khilath Rasheed - journalist and blogger from Maldives said...

I am surprised that Shari also noted that I had a pinchable bottom before I thinned after surfing. It's true. I used to have one hell of a bum but now it's gone, thanks to surfing. Or should I complain about this?

2:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

shari u'r guess is not me now is it? ( since there are two females here me and shaazu.. and she hasnt made or responded to the butt comment.. i guess u are assuming its me!!)

for the record i dont think my butts that pinchable.... i do have a big butt.. but i doubt Al would hav such thoughts about my butt :P after all i am an innocent.. nice girl :)

11:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

u'r most welcome shari :) never believd in beating around the bush too much..i like things open and frank, without a lot of guessing games.. makes life a whole lot simpler..dont u think ??!

umm laying myself out bare eh?? u shouldnt use such comments.. i have an overactive imagination....;)better watch out! hehe damn!

6:54 AM  
Blogger Khilath Rasheed - journalist and blogger from Maldives said...

Isn't it better to beat around the bum rather than the "bush"? heh heh heh

Hey, Shari, I think your own closeted feelings are surfacing from the comments you make here. For instance, I had decided to grow my hair long thinking it would make me look more sexier. You could not have been more right, and you made the comment at the right time!

But you also forgot to mention that I have a killer beard and sideburns now which is attracting quite a lot of attention to me!

2:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

shaazu..now now.. not me..

i still think its about hilath :)

10:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hehe shari! al woudl never talklike that about me its an insult to my innosence :)mayb its u shari?

10:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

looks like u are here too..this is fun! :P yes my innoSence :D i think our meanings differ..and so does our spellings.. and having an overactive imagination is healthy..

as for Al..i know a little bit about what he is capable of.. but then agian..perhaps i dont know him well enough even after sort of knowing him for 5 yrs eh ..

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home