Sunday, December 11, 2005

Going home


Back in Katmandu, our base camp for two very incredible journeys, we're preparing the long trip back home. There's bus, train, and air tickets to co-ordinate, dirty laundry to be seen to, and, most importantly, shopping to be done, for which we hope to enlist the assistance of our experts.

Now that the Everest trek and the Tibet tour are done, they don't seem to have been so difficult.

In fact the most insufferable part of the whole journey, for me, has been having to use Windows based applications to update the blog.

It's with mixed feelings that I think of going home. Yesterday as we drove from the Nepal-Tibet border to Katmandu I couldn't help feeling a pang as the afternoon sunlight-baked hills, villages, rivers and terraced fields flashed past. I can see I'm going to miss all this very much.

The truth is there's precious little back home that I'm truly attached to.

For Muha it may be different. A month on since he departed Maaveyo Magu, Muha has admitted to having lately felt a little homesick, notably in Tibet.

But a quick glance at certain websites from the Maldives was enough to reveal that Saffah has failed to carry out a certain task we assigned him to complete before our arrival back there.

For those of you who are wondering what all this is is about I will only say that, like Hilath's closeted heterosexuality, Saffah has his little secrets which he keeps to himself but which most people have always suspected.

On a final note to this rather long post let me add that I'm delighted that this blog is resulting in such splendid discussions about sex, philosophy and Titanic.

And for those of your who are wondering why I like Nepal and Tibet so much, given the considerable political repression they are under, well, all I can say is they've got mountains.

5 Comments:

Blogger Khilath Rasheed - journalist and blogger from Maldives said...

Shari and I had a coffee at Juwey's cafe today afternoon. He agrees that I should keep aside the depressing comments from this blog because it's supposed to be a cheerful blog. (But I wonder whether mountaineering and trekking is really cheerful after all). Al and Muha, I am really looking forward to seeing you guys back. Please inform me your return date so that I can put garlands on your necks when you arrive at Male International Airport.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Khilath Rasheed - journalist and blogger from Maldives said...

What is it about Maaveyo Magu I wonder. Muha, Narco, and me live on Maaveyo Magu. Someone once commented that it's the most beautiful street in Male, so green and gay (in the beautiful sense) and the street where the most handsome guys in the capital city live. I wonder whether this particular person was refering to us three. Now I see Shari also joining us on Maaveyo Magu. Today, he said he is now quite comfortable with Juwey's cafe although earlier he seemed paranoid every time I invited him for a coffee at Juwey's cafe which is located on Maaveyo Magu.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Khilath Rasheed - journalist and blogger from Maldives said...

Okay, let's just say that Maaveyo Magu also is the host of many beautiful women as well.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Khilath Rasheed - journalist and blogger from Maldives said...

Hey, I once had a crush on Juwey. I still think she looks beautiful despite her buruga. On second thought, I think the buruga very much compliments her Arabic-like beauty. On another thought, did any of you notice that the name "Wajdy" (her full name is Juweyriya Wajdy) seems to be exclusive to Addu atoll? The only Wajdies I know are from Addu (including Haveeru reporter Mohamed Saeed Moosa Wajdy). If any of you have heard of a Wajdy from any other atoll, please let me know. Just curious.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Khilath Rasheed - journalist and blogger from Maldives said...

that means you are from Addu tha shaaxu?

4:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home