Thursday, November 22, 2007

Day 12: Dzongla

22 April 2007
Dzongla, 4830 metres, 3.00pm

Took nearly 5 hours to get here from Lobuche because I lost my way. It was a fantastic walk to begin with; the landscape was covered in a carpet of snow, even the trail. At first I was a bit unsure about walking in the snow rail. But I soon found my feet. Also footprints, both human and yak, abounded so it was easy to follow the trail. It was a fresh, gorgeous morning and I enjoyed myself thoroughly. But after I crossed a flat snow field, I had trouble connecting to the trail to Dzongla.I could see a trail higher up on the mountain so I just walked up to the bottom of the hill and climbed up to the trail. Thereafter I was alone for a long time. after a few hours I met a couple of trekkers and was relieved to find out I was on the right trail. There was snow on the trail and their footprints were prominent enough for me to follow. But after a while the footprints disappeared and i found myself walking up to the crest of the hill and following what looked like a trail. But it vanished into nothing and I had to backtrack to the crest. There I found another descending path. This led me to Dzongla. Some of the trail was slippery and for a lot of the time I was afraid I wasn't on the right trail. Apart from the 3 trekkers I didn't meet anyone on the path.

But I enjoyed the walk and the sense of total isolation in the mountains.

As for Dzongla, I have yet to see a more cold, desloate place on earth. Preched high on a little bit of flat surrounded by mountains it has just two lodges and a toilte that is spectacularly filthy.

soon after I arrived, it started snowing. Even my down jacket didn't seem to keep out the chill.

But theres also a kind of satisfaction in being so far from anywhere.

i'm a bit worried about the pass tomorrow. It has a slippery bit on the other side and I don't know how I'll do on it.

But I'll have a porter to guide me so I'll at least know where I'm going.

It'll take all of 6 hours to go to the next village and I've a feeling I'm going to take much longer.

Last night was the most social evening of the trek. I met an English family and 3 Americans and we had a great evening, chatting about all sorts of things. Come to think of it I haven't seen that many English on the trek.

2 Comments:

Blogger MARTIN said...

Al,

Hope your Journey to India goes well. Today I saw the new Final Cut of Blade Runner at a Cinema in Brixton and it was absolutely beautiful. When you're out and about if you get the chance SEE IT ON A HUGE (THE BIGGEST POSSIBLE) SCREEN! You will not regret it!!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ey thanks for dropping by my blog.. i was lookin for updates and hows things going do write sometime I am dying to hear all about it! hope ur keeping well

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home