Sunday, May 20, 2007

Going north


I've been toying with the idea of living in a remote island in north Maldives for a few months. It should prove an interesting contrast to the weeks I've spent in the high Himalaya.

For some reason I was flooded with ideas for a film about a tiny island community on the verge of extinction, as I made my way up well-worn mountain trails in mist and snow. If I could swan off to Haa Alif Atoll with my Mac and camcorder, this film, conceived at altitudes so high that not even grass grows, could well become a reality.

I've been showing the pictures from the trek to friends, and going through the images again is stirring a familiar longing to return to the Himalaya, even though I've only been back in this country for a few days. I think Muha felt a similar longing as he scrolled through the pictures yesterday.

I took the photo in this post about 50 metres or so up Kala Pattar. It's so early that the sun is still rising behind Everest. The highest mountain in the world reveals itself bit by bit as you ascend Kala Pattar. By half-past seven Maldives time (I hadn't changed my watch to the Nepali timezone) I was on the crest, gawking at the black pyramid and the panorama of snow peaks, with several dozen other trekkers.

I sat in the morning sun for an hour or so, nibbling coconut biscuits, drinking water, and thinking this was probably the last time I would be on the summit of Kala Pattar.

But as I look at the pictures again, I'm not so sure.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the picture is stunning

5:27 PM  
Blogger Khilath Rasheed - journalist and blogger from Maldives said...

Hey, Al, thanks for showing me the pictures in full res yesterday. It took my breath away (apologise for the cliche) but that's what really happened. I wish there was some visual beauty about Male, and each day that passes, I become more depressed and I want to escape to a place where my soul (if such a thing really exists) can be fed by such visual beauty. I wonder whether I would have the guts to join Muha when he goes to Ladakh.

12:06 AM  
Blogger Al said...

i hope you do, hilath. remember there's an adventure waiting for you right at your doorstep--and i don't mean maveyo magu--that i hope you'll find the push that you need soon. there's so much to see in the indian subcontinent and for so little money. remember, it's also better to deal with any issues you have before going on an adventure..best of luck!

3:39 AM  
Blogger MARTIN said...

you get to do all the exciting things, don't you?! Hey Buddy Hayfever season has started here and I'm cooking badly - so being in a pollen-free atmosphere like shown in the picture is actually appealing to me!

1:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wish i cud switch palces with u ...
i really wud enjoy a look down from atop the himalayas ...
u r among the lucky few to do that i guess ...

3:23 PM  
Blogger Al said...

i don't think it's luck, if i can do it anyone can..the mountains are out there, within reach, and waiting for you..

9:07 PM  
Blogger Khilath Rasheed - journalist and blogger from Maldives said...

You are right actually. Wish I could one day drag myself from this seat and actually make a wondrous trip like that. *sigh*

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilath dont wish
DO!

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home