Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Bisugir Sharif


Visitors may recall that in my last trek to Nepal, Muha and I came across a town called Bijgirsharif somewhere in north India. At the time we couldn't recall its exact whereabouts. Well, this time around I was on the look out and I can now put the matter to rest. In fact, although the town is spelt Bijgirsharif in my India Railway Atlas, it is called Bisugir Sharif, and it's an insignificant station lying a few kilometres north of Warangal, a main railway junction in Andhra Pradesh.

Sadly, I wasn't able to verify whether bisugir meant big in Andhra but it looked little more than a disused station so I very much doubt it.

I hope Sharif is pleased with this information.

I should point out that there are two islands in the Maldives which appropriate his surname: Ali Fushi and Fee Ali.

2 Comments:

Blogger Khilath Rasheed - journalist and blogger from Maldives said...

Welcome back Al. It was nice meeting you today in Male. Hopefully, I can go and see the photos you took!

Sharif must be happy to know that so many places have been named after him! I have only my home named after me but it's still not exactly my name though it does rhyme.

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe Bisugir Sharif is famous for the dargah of Ankush Shah Wali a sufi saint.

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home