Sunday, August 27, 2006

End of India


I just got back from Kaniyakumari, the land's end of the Indian subcontinent. Although most of the three hour journey there wasn't out of the ordinary, there was an area with hills and paddy fields that looked very nice as the sun started to set on the way back. Kanyakumari was alright, if a bit unremarkable. It had a promenade with vendors lined up by the sea creating a lively atmosphere. Many Indian tourists went there today as it's the weekend.

The journey there and the journey back was crammed. On the way there I was a bit dehydrated and uncomfortable, but after a masala tosa in Kanyakumari for lunch I experienced a remarkable recovery. I enjoyed the rest of the outing very much indeed.

Tomorrow I'm off on the train to Delhi, so there won't be any blogging until I get there on the 30th.

I'd like to say something in praise of Keralans. I had a chance to observe them at trivandrum bus station where I had to wait two hours for the bus. The people milling about there seemed to me to be very focussed, hard-working, and decent. Many of them made sure I was on the Kanyakumari bus, because I kept asking people when the bus would arrive (many of the signs are in Malayalam).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home