Thursday, August 31, 2006

Coffee break in Delhi


I spent most of yesterday with my cousin. We chatted for hours and the topics included Maldives politics, the rise of burugas, and the latest gossip about Carnation cousins. I can't reveal what was said but no one was spared! We took a coffee break in a trendy coffee house and saw young Delhi yuppies chilling out.

On the way back to Paharganj, where I'm staying, we passed India Gate which looked nice in the night lights. The traffic in Delhi is complete chaos, i think an indication of where Male is headed. As we turned into the Main Bazaar (picture), the driver said: "This is the seediest part of Delhi, yahan sab chor hai (everyone's a crook here)!"

I was subjected to a well-established scam on my first day here. A tout took me as I came out of my train to what he said was a government tourist office which would help transport me to my hotel. But at the office they called what my hotel and gave me the phone. The voice at the other end informed me the room I had booked was no longer available. The officers then then told me they could help me find another room to suit my budget. Luckily I saw through the scam and buggered off fast as I could, got on a rickshaw and went to the hotel which I'd originally booked. My room was waiting for me, and the receptionist told me that sort of thing happened all the time.

Anyhow, I'm off to Manali this evening. Taking the overnight bus means I won't see much of the scenery, but at least I'll be in the Himalayas by lunchtime tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home