Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Sea-level to the foot of Mount Everest


I live and work in the Maldives, filming DV productions on social and developmental issues. This has taken me across the country's far-flung islands, including Nalandhoo in the photo, an uninhabited island in the north, which is easily the most dramatic and beautiful natural settings that I have photographed here.

But I am going away to experience even more dramatic landscapes. In November, I'm revisiting Nepal after 10 years because I simply can't resist the "calling" any more. I've taken this blog to document my thoughts and experiences as I get ready to trek from sea-level to the highest mountain range in the world.

Several questions pop up as I prepare for the arduous journey ahead of me: am I fit enough? when the time comes, can I leave my friends and family to go off on my own? and, am I simply running away because I'm unable to deal with certain things that have been happening in my life here?

In the coming days and weeks, I hope to be able to answer these and other questions and share my experiences with people that are dear to me. I'm dedicating this blog to all my nieces and nephews, but I hope my friends and aquaintances will visit too when they have the time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Khilath Rasheed - journalist and blogger from Maldives said...

Al should see how I seriously bodyboard now. I now don't stay in the water just watching the other guys (ahem). I paddle out after every wave and catch it right from the lip. All the surfers can vouch on that! But this strenuous bodyboarding is proving both advantageous and disadvantageous for me. I am losing weight like hell but many girls, and some guys (ahem) are commenting how handsome I look now. I am now even getting many calls from gals and quite a few guys (ahem again) who wants to go out on dates, or er, in the case of guys, out for coffees and Holstens. I become very self-conscious now every time I take off my shirt while at the Raalhugandu. Sharif one day caught me shirtless on the road near Raalhugandu during "peak" time when people roam over there on weekends. He later told me he was wondering why I have become such an exhibitionist lately. I guess one cannot help but show off when one's body becomes well-sculpted. Three cheers for surfing!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Yasir said...

it all comes back when we are ready.
Better latte than never ready
I shall message you from base camp.

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home